ZETS Recipe for Traditional Serbian Holiday Cake With Apples Covered with Crumbs
por Martina Joksimovic
Note: Preparation of the cake takes about 15 minutes if ready-made dough is used
- Fatty puff pastry (1 finished crust)
- Jar of ZETS Apple Pie Filling
Ingredients for the dough if you want to make it:
- 1 ¾ cups of flour (about 200 g depending on the quality of the flour)
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup cold butter cut into cubes (about 150 g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tablespoons of ice water
1. Sift the flour and pour it into the multi-cooker.
2. Add chopped cold butter.
3. Pulse and turn the mix into crumbs.
4. Add egg yolks and 2-3 teaspoons of ice water (start with one at a time) and beat the mass ready for mixing.
5. Knead a little dough and form it into a thick disk, wrap it in plastic film and put it in the refrigerator for at least 30-40 minutes.
6. Use a rolling pin to form a larger circle so that a 3-4 mm thick round tray can be covered as in the picture. Put the formed dough in the pan in the refrigerator again for at least 10 minutes.
7. Pierce the bottom of the dough with a fork in several places, coat the dough in the mould with egg whites before baking. Bake for about 10 minutes first, then another 10 minutes with parchment paper and dry beans or heavy balls (sprinkled on parchment paper) that prevent the dough from rising during baking.
8. Pour the filling from the jar and sprinkle with the prepared crumbs. Bake for about 35 minutes at 175°C.
9. In the meantime, make the crumbs according to the following recipe:
Composition for crumbs:
- 1 handful of flour
- 1 handful of oatmeal
- 2 spoons of coarsely ground walnuts (may or may not)
- 80 g of butter cut into slices
- spoon of yellow sugar
1. Mix the dry ingredients with your hands and slowly rub in the butter so that it remains mixture in lumps and crumbs.
2. Leave it aside in the refrigerator while the previously prepared dough develops.
Note: Preparation of the cake takes about 15 minutes if ready-made dough is used:
3. Roll out the dough and cover the muold.
4. Use one roll of fat dough to make a Swabian apple pie with crumbs.
5. Line a round mould with baking paper or use a baking tray with a movable bottom.
*If you don't have a square baking tray but a round baking tray, we recommend lining it with parchment paper.*
6. Bake the dough formed in the pan for about 10 minutes.
7. Pour the whole jar of filling.
8. Sprinkle with crumbs and bake for about 35 min at 175∘C.
9. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.